I help small software teams focus more on shipping quality web apps and less on infrastructure and operational overhead.
If you want an app:
- whose UI doesn’t look like it was built by a back-end developer
- that is always available for demo and feedback throughout the development process
- that makes use of ready-made AWS cloud services rather than wasting precious development time reinventing the wheel
- that is built with scalability in mind but without being over-engineered
- that is safeguarded by an automated test suite
- that can be easily handed over to existing developers in your company
… and you need a lead developer:
- whose primary focus is on delivering a slick, reliable experience for your users rather than obsessing about code or frameworks
- who will guide you on business as well as technology areas
- who you can trust to work directly with your users and other stakeholders
- who is as comfortable writing SASS as they are writing infrastructure-as-code
- who can mentor junior developers within your team
… then I can help.
Unlike other full-stack developers, I have significant founder, product management and operational experience from running my own bootstrapped SaaS business since 2013. This helps me ensure that what gets built matches your business goals. I won’t waste time building stuff which I know you won’t need.
“Paul made a massive impact on the BBC Rewind project and the results of his work can be seen in archive content now being published across many of the BBC’s broadcast services.”
How I will work with you
I employ a structured approach with all new projects, starting with an initial short phone call to ensure we’re a mutual fit. This is followed up by a roadmapping session where we work together to produce a detailed outline of how the project will look before proceeding to the implementation proper.
This is a discovery session aimed at digging into the core business objectives you’re trying to achieve, understanding who your users are and uncovering any constraints that may affect delivery.
After the session, I will produce a PDF report containing a technical architecture and a breakdown of tasks, time and costs that will demonstrate how this outcome can be delivered for you. An added bonus of doing this upfront is that you get a feel for what it will be like working with me without the risk of committing to a longer-term contract.
“Working with Paul has always been a pleasure... this is the sort of partner relationship that we always aspire to.”
Custom Web App Implementation
My main goal during an implementation engagement is to deliver real value as early as possible to your users and build in feedback as we go along. To that end, I will work in short “sprints” — 2 week development cycles where I write the code and configure systems for a small set of specific features, which will be released to your users at the end of the cycle.
I will be in regular contact with your team to solicit feedback on what has been delivered and discuss priorities for future sprints.
“Paul is one of the few developers that are able to make a BIG impact in a short period of time, single handedly worked on re-developing our mobile version of autoTRADER.ca which launched in record time as a fantastic success.”
My commitment to you
When we’re working on a project together, you can expect:
- Fast, regular, demonstrable progress with a focus on shipping early and often
- To be asked lots of questions about the business motivations and constraints behind your project
- A strong voice for the user’s experience
- A pragmatic approach to architecture and technology selection
- A frank and honest advisor, independent of internal organisational biases
- A detailed handover of all technical knowledge to your in-house project team upon completion
- An option to retain my services long term in an advisory/support role
You can read more testimonials and case studies to see how I’ve helped other clients ship their products.